The Federal Government of Nigeria has confirmed that hours after gunmen attacked a presidential advance convoy near Dutsinma, Katsina on July 5. there was a bomb blast in Kuje Custodial Centre located in Nigeria’s Federal Capital Territory,
In a statement made by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu said that the president is expected to be in Daura, his hometown on Friday, 8, for Sallah.
“The Presidency has described as sad and unwelcome, the shooting incident near Dutsinma, Katsina State, at the convoy of cars carrying the Advance Team of security guards, protocol, and media officers ahead of President, Muhammadu Buhari’s trip to Daura for Sallah”.
President Muhammadu Buhari’s Convoy was attacked yesterday on the way to Kastina State.
“Two persons in the convoy are receiving treatment for the minor injuries they suffered. All the other personnel, staff, and vehicles made it safely to Daura,” Garba said.
Meanwhile, according to the spokesperson for the Nigerian Correctional Service, AD Umar, 600 inmates had escaped, but normalcy had been restored after security agencies intervened.
“However, men of the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service and other security agencies attached to the Custodial centre have responded and calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control,” Umar said.
According to him, forthcoming details will soon be communicated to the public.